During the consultation on this document it became apparent that there were a lot of activities, events and information happening in Newstead that some residents were unaware of.
The success of this plan is dependant upon good communication, as the vehicle to community involvement.
The Parish already has a Village Newsletter and a website both run by volunteers in the community which need to be used by the community as forums for information sharing and communication.
Many people stated they did not know what the Parish Council did or how to get involved. A common theme was that residents did not know who to contact regarding repairs or complaints due to the division of land ownership and accountability in the parish.
Many residents are already active with a number of groups already established in Newstead. These include The Newstead Residents Association, The Newstead Action Group, Newstead WI, The Youth Club, leisure and sporting clubs such as the Cricket club or The Woodcarvers group, the Allotment Association and The Treefest Committee. This plan should enable better communication of activities and how to get involved with like-minded people in your community.
The Church of St Mary The Virgin is a venue for a range of Village activities from Tea and Coffee mornings to Summer Fete’s as well as a place of worship.
The Newstead Miners Welfare and Community Centre, The Station Hotel and The Post Office all have their part to play in the communication infrastructure of Newstead. It is vital that these are all maintained and promoted for the benefit of the residents of the Parish of Newstead.
What you said-
“Having a public noticeboard that tells people what’s happening would be good.”
65% of respondents said they find out about what’s on and news in the parish through word of mouth.
81% said there was a need for the community newsletter.
What we would like to achieve
- Newstead has a positive image
- Residents are well informed
- Residents and visitors are aware and proud of the village’s heritage
- residents have access to education and training
- Enter Village in Bloom competition
- Upgrade unmanaged and untidy pieces of land
- Produce a plan of the Village
- Develop Treefest as an annual village celebration including the promotion of multi cultural activities.
- Develop and promote the Village Newsletter.
- Advertise events, services and contacts
- Appoint an events coordinator for all village events.
- Ensure residents are aware of The Parish Council and its activities.
- Produce a book about Newstead
- Develop Oral History/Reminiscence Project