Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held in the Summit Room of Newstead Miners Welfare Community Centre
on Wednesday 6th September 2006.

Present:Cllrs. P.A. Wise (Chairman), J. Booth, P. Burnham, D. Carless, W. Evans, J.S. Flanders, V. Leivers-Millership and R. Milliken.
Cllr J.J.McCauley, PC Andy Vale, Rev. E. Turner-Loisel, seven members of the public and a member of the press were also in attendance.

Apologies for absence:There were no apologies for absence.

Declarations of interest: The Chairman declared an interest in the item on the Youth Club in Agenda item 13.

Approval of the Minutes of the meeting held on 5th July 2006.
The Minutes of the meeting were approved and signed by the Chairman.

Matters arising from the Minutes.

The event for the opening of the skate park had not yet taken place. The Chairman would liaise with Mick Leivers and the Youth Service. She would inform Councillors when a date had been arranged. A date has still to be arranged. This remains ongoing.

The Clerk would contact Gedling BC again re. the narrowing of the footpath on Hucknall Road outside Hopping Hill farm. The Clerk would contact GBC again as no response had been received.

The Clerk would contact Gedling BC again re. the narrowing of the footpath on Hucknall Road outside Hopping Hill farm. The Clerk would contact GBC again as no response had been received.

The decorative railing at Chapel Terrace is still missing. The Clerk would again inform Gedling BC.

Gedling BC has now made a submission re the North East tip to Notts. County Council.

The amount of rubbish which had accumulated in the back garden of 55 Tilford Road has not been cleared. The Clerk will contact Gedling BC.

A new gate to the skate park has been installed, but there are still concerns over the back exit which is being used by bikers to access the park. The crossing of the main road is dangerous. Gedling BC is liaising with the Forestry Commission over access to the woods opposite the park. This remains ongoing.

The report from Nick Crouch of Notts CC on Hopping Hill has not been received. The Clerk would contact him. Hopping Hill Community Garden would be an agenda item for the October meeting.

The Clerk would write to the “Take Away” (Bombay Spice) to ask for their co-operation in addressing the litter problem. There has been no response to date and the problem of litter continues.

Cllr Carless will seek funding for Hopping Hill.

The litter bins at the Miners Welfare are full and are not being emptied on a regular basis. The Chairman would follow this up with the Trustees at their next meeting. This is ongoing.

Two benches in the skate park are now broken and thrown into the hedges. Peter Dooley of Gedling BC has replaced but not of the same quality. He will continue to investigate why they were broken during the work at the skate park.

Noisy motor bikes were being driven up and down Musters Road recently. Residents are requested to contact the police. This problem continues and also in other areas of the village.

The Council was informed that the notice board in Newstead Abbey Park is broken so that the vacancy notice could not be displayed.

The Chairman adjourned the meeting so that members of the public could discuss Parish matters with Councillors.

The Chairman adjourned the meeting to introduce the Rev. Liz Turner-Loisel. Rumours had been going around the village that the church in Newstead was about to be closed. Rev. Turner-Loisel gave a very informative account of the present situation at the church. She said that she did not want to close the church as in recent months, Newstead has bucked the trend as the congregation was rising and there were more young people attending. But the building is in need of extensive repairs which would cost a great deal of money (estimated £20,000) which the church cannot afford as their income is low. In 2012 stipendiary ministers in the area would be cut from 5 to 3 and, owing to the poor state of Newstead church, it may have to be closed by the Diocesan architect on health and safety grounds. The Chairman thanked the Rev. Turner-Loisel for her informative contribution.

The Council was informed by a resident of the insecurity of the former nursing home on Fraser Street. The Clerk would contact Sam Palmer at Gedling BC.

A complaint was made by a resident regarding the speed humps on Fraser Street. Bricks at the front of the hump need to be smoothed down.

A resident complained about the letter sent by the Parish Council regarding Cemetery Regulations. Councillors explained why the regulations were necessary. The Clerk would place a notice on the Cemetery gates explaining the health and safety issues involved in Cemetery maintenance.

Accounts:

Receipts.
£189.12

Payments.
£2407.32

The accounts were approved by the Parish Council and were signed by the Chairman.

Matters concerning Newstead Village.
The Chairman and Cllr Mrs Evans have toured the village recently. The planting areas of the Cemetery car park need to be addressed. It was suggested that the area outside could be grassed for easy maintenance and the same could be done up to the fencing and around the existing tree. A further 2 trees could be planted. The Chairman would seek quotes for tarmac and concrete. A decision would be made at the October meeting.

The fencing on the Hopping Hill Farm side of the car park is in a poor state of repair. It was suggested that a hedge could be planted but this would take about 5 years to be an effective barrier. This should be part of the management plan for the Hopping Hill project so that funding could be sought.

Parking on Station Avenue during football matches is causing problems. The Clerk will contact Gedling BC.

The pathway between Chapel Terrace and Hazelford Way is becoming narrower because of overgrown vegetation. The Clerk will contact Gedling BC.

The Council would have to consider the removal of trees to enlarge the Cemetery in the near future. Cllr Flanders would make enquiries about chain saw trainees who could do the job as part of their training.

Matters concerning Newstead Abbey Park.
It was reported that the Abbey drive is under repair at the present time.

It is expected that the planning application for gates at the entrances to the Abbey Park will be submitted in October.

Correspondence.
Letter from Mrs C. Ward re request for a key to the Cemetery gates. Her request was denied by the Council.

Re. the reclamation of the NE tip at Annesley Colliery, Paddy Tipping MP will organise a public meeting. Jerry Smith of Notts CC has said that he will attend but Annesley Developments Ltd will not.

Planning Applications.
There were no planning applications.

Reports from External meetings.
Cllr Milliken reported on a Liaison Committee meeting. He informed the Council that County Cllr Lonergan was on a working party reviewing speed limits.

Cemetery Issues
The Council emphasised that the regulations would be adhered to as they were for the benefit of all residents and users of the Cemetery.

Items that the Chairman considered urgent.
There was representation from the Youth Club for a donation towards various activities. After discussion the Council voted unanimously to donate £500 to Youth Club funds.

There was a request for funding from Newstead Youth Band. The Council unanimously agreed to donate £380 to buy mutes and mouthpieces.

A new notice board will be required for the Abbey Park. The Chairman will speak to the caretaker of the Welfare Community Centre to ascertain if he would make one.

A small committee under the chairmanship of Cllr Carless was set up to move the proposed Parish Plan forward. Members of the committee are Cllrs. Evans and Wise. The committee would meet on Monday 11th September at 7.00pm.

Closure and date of next meeting.
The Chairman closed the meeting at 10.05pm. The next meeting of the Parish Council will be on Wednesday 4th October 2006 commencing at 7.30pm.